Rapphannock Industrial Academy Alumni Association Scholarship Fund was established in 2004 by the Academy's alumni to provide educational scholarships to qualifying African Americans graduates of Essex County, King & Queen County and Middlesex County public schools. Recipients will be encouraged to use this educational opportunity to enrich the lives of others in their home community. The Rappahannock Industrial Academy opened its doors on January 1, 1902 to provide education for African American residents in the area. The Alumni Association has for many years awarded scholarships on a rotating basis among Essex, Middlesex, and King and Queen Counties.
* An eligible applicant must be a graduating senior of a public high school in Essex County, King & Queen County, or Middlesex County, Virginia.
* An eligible applicant must demonstrate academic achievement, financial need, and a commitment to serving his or her community.
* An eligible applicant must plan to enroll in an accredited two or four-year college or university, or technical school in the continental United States.
How Winners are Chosen:
* Academic achievement will be evaluated based on grade point average and SAT scores.
* Financial need will be evalutated on the basis of a statement of financial need, the
completed financial forms and information regarding pending scholarship applications, if any.
* Commitment to community will be evaluated on th basis of the applicant's response to the required essay.
Award Amount (s): $1,000
How to Apply
Graduating High School Seniors: * Sent two (2) copies of the attached completed application form including:
* Supporting documents outlined on application form
* Statement of financial need
Personal statement about how you will use this educational opportunity to enrich the lives of others in your community.
* Complete top portion of attached financial aid form for each college/universtiy being considered and sent directly to financial aid office. College/university will complete form and return to The Community Foundation Serving Richmond and Central Virginia.
Attn: Susan Hallett
7325 Beaufont Sprints Drive
Richmond, Va 23225